Re: backup

  • From: Gus Spier <gus.spier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brian Zelli <Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:22:50 -0500

Yeesh!

First, is the root cause of this issue embedded in the database backup plan?

Genericly, let's start with a backup strategy centered on Oracle Recovery
Manager (RMAN).  Perform a level 0 incremental backup once a week during
periods of lowest database activity.

Perform level 1 incremental backup once a day for every other day of the
week.

All the time from the level 0 backup, backup logs are generated and
archived.  If, God forbid, your database suffers catastrophe, you restore
from the level 0 backup, then the latest level 1 backup, then the archived
redo logs, and finally the online redo logs  to bring your database back to
the point just before it crashed.

If you manage to survive an entire week without having to restore/recover
your database. You repeat the backup strategy, but, at the end of the new
level 0 backup, you no longer need to keep the archived redo logs on disk.
I recommend that you copy them to "permanent" storage and use the Recovery
Manager software to delete them.

If indeed you are using RMAN, use the CATALOG command to tell the Recovery
Manager where you moved the archivelogs to.  Then perform your level 0
backup using BACKUP ... DELETE ALL INPUT

HTH,

Gus