Re: background tracefiles reset

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 23:20:01 +0800

Hi Dave,

I have used the tracefile truncation using the > operation in past (no cat
/dev/null is even needed):

"> db_arc1_1234.trc" (without double quotes of course).

Other options are more hard-core, you could connect to the process with
oradebug and issue oradebug close_trace, but I don't recommend touching
background processes with oradebug.

Another option would be to set log_archive_processes to 0 temporarily, wait
until archivers exit and then set the parameter back to original value.

I would use OS level truncate with > , this releases space back to
filesystem.

As with everything, test this out and verify yourself before doing it in
production.

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com