Re: awr

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 08:04:43 -0600

If you have an AWR-capable version and edition (10g or higher / EE), AWR IS *installed*, automatically and always. Whether you may *use it* is another question entirely. (Whether you can *use it* is yet another question entirely. ;-) )

If you have Enterprise Manager Grid/Cloud/Database Control access configured for the database, look at the 'Management Pack Access' page (usually under 'Setup', upper right corner) to see whether you have OEM access to AWR enabled. AWR is part of the Diagnostic Pack, and you refer to the Diag Pack status:

- If it is enabled and the 'Pack Access Agreed' box is not checked, it has not been [officially] reviewed, and someone should go back to the physical license from purchase to determine whether you can use it or not;
- If it is enabled and the 'Pack Access Agreed' box IS checked, *presumably* someone has verified that the license is valid, and you may use DIAG pack and all it's features, although it might still be a good idea to verify against physical license if you were not the person to set the check-box;
- If is is NOT enabled (which means the 'Pack Access Agreed' IS checked) then AWR is technically not to be used and OEM links to it will be unavailable to ensure you can not accidentally use it from within OEM's GUI console.

As of 11g, the Diag and Tuning Packs are controlled by the CONTROL_MANAGEMENT_PACK_ACCESS init parameter. IF you have the appropriate license, ensure that the CONTROL_MANAGEMENT_PACK_ACCESS initialization parameter is set to DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING (default) or DIAGNOSTIC to enable ADDM. This parameter is NOT available with 10gR2 or older and you depend entirely on self-discipline.

All of this is written up in the docs, although it can be a challenge to find unless one is comfortable with Oracle docs. I encourage reviewing the "2-Day + Performance Tuning Guide" (since you specify 11g, I assume R2, and the guide is found at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/index.htm)

Note that use - deliberate or accidental - of any Pack features will likely increment internal usage counters which can not be reset, and which can be tested during a license audit. From this aspect alone, it may be a good idea to configure OEM Cloud Control for all Oracle targets and have a policy to immediately set the 'Management Pack Access' configuration before first use of each target.

As usual, any license information or advice received on the internet is neither definitive, nor legally binding, and you should follow up with an Oracle rep who is in a position to to respond officially.

/Hans
These views and opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of anyone else, including Oracle Corp.

On 17/08/2015 10:21 AM, Zelli, Brian wrote:

The vendor keeps asking for information from awr. I know we didn’t pay for it but how do I tell if it’s been installed?

We do have 11g enterprise edition.

Brian

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.