avg % of SGA allocated to buffer cache

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:45:55 -0700

Has one seen, or does anyone have, data on what the average size of buffer
cache is across Oracle databases? and/or average % of SGA allocated to
buffer cache.
One reason I ask, among several, is that pluggable databases save about
 300-400MB per instance going from non-PDB to PDB.
Thus Oracle claims they can go from 50 instances on a 20GB RAM host to 250
with PDB.
First I'd be surprised at anyone running 50 Oracle instances on 20GB of RAM
second I find it hard to fathom running 250 PDB on 20GB of RAM meaning that
they'd all have a few MB of buffer cache available each at best.

If PDB option is $17,500 it might be more cost effective to either add more
memory to the machine or add more cache to the back end array serving I/O.

Musing on configuration options ...

- Kyle