Re: autotrace issue

  • From: Sanjay Madan <madan.sanjay@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:01:26 +0530

Chris/ Wolfgang,

Thanks for your replies.

Chris,
U are right .. It isnt a FTS, its a Full Partition Scan.
The autotrace output is:
TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'PART_TAB' (Cost=8412 Card
=19 Bytes=2109)

The plan_table clearly shows thats it will scan just one partition and not
the full table.

Still that behaviour is not as expected. The table access(full) run takes
about 1:56 mins .. whereas if i give the index hint, it takes about 0:35
mins. ( I had initially thought that this happens only when the input value
is a non-existent one.. maybe thats forcing a full-partn-scan. But thats not
the case. It happens randomly even for values that do exist in the table.).

Wolfgang,

user@DB1 > show parameter cursor

NAME TYPE VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------
cursor_sharing string EXACT
cursor_space_for_time boolean FALSE
open_cursors integer 1000
session_cached_cursors integer 0

I collect statistics using the following ( once a week) :

dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats(ownname=> 'DBOWNER',
estimate_percent => DBMS_STATS.AUTO_SAMPLE_SIZE,
method_opt => 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE AUTO',
cascade => TRUE);

Regards

Sanjay