Re: automatic extent allocation

  • From: Steven Patenaude <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:55:03 -0600

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:37:22 -0800, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I was thinking that "Unlimited" actually corresponds to 2 billion.  In any
> > case it is a lot and probably more than enough for most shops.
>
> ... which allows for a 16 TB table with an 8k block size.
>
> Or if using the drive manufacturers prefferred decimal notation, 17.5 TB.
>
> Probably enough for most tables.
>
> So, why extent limits determined with a 31 bit number?
>
> Rather than a 32 bit one that is.
>
> --
> Jared Still

Signed vs unsigned, I assume.

Junior programmer, one year into the project, "Wait!  Shouldn't we use
an unsigned long for an extra 2 billion extents?"
Senior programmer, "Wipe your nose, kid.  We're already behind
schedule.  Besides, if a DBA has a single segment with 17.5 TB of
data, hitting the extent limit is the least of his/her worries."
JP, grabbing tissue, "Oh."

I guess in Oracle-speak, "unlimited" means "if you hit this limit you
are already up the creek".  ;)

Steven
--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l