Re: autoextend

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 16:28:34 +0100

I tested this back in 8i and you did get the space allocated in this
situation, though with multiple extensions of the datafile to
accomodate. This behaviour may obviously have changed since.

A typical thing that starts happening when you turn autoextend on is
that all your free space monitoring scripts become invalid by the way.

On 9/21/06, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >>>It will not however affect the way the space is allocated
>>>for the object within my tablespace. Am I correct here?

yes... although you might care to test what happens if your
increment value is smaller than the next extent size of a table
that grows to subsequently trigger an autoextend...I think (haven't
tested) that your increment value needs to be large enough to
satisfy in one extending operation the size of the extent requested
by the table growth... I'd test it here, but my systems are tied up.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info