RE: autoextend

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:51:42 +0800

I believe that even if the file increment is smaller than the extent NEXT, it will make multiple increments to fulfill the extent NEXT requirement. Thus, eg, if the file is ... AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 64K .. (64K seems to have been the default, if you don't specify NEXT -- this is from memory), and the table/index NEXT is 1M, then the file will still extend by 1MB (ie 16 increments of 64K).

However, :  I can't test this right now.  I am quite sure that is how
it works ... though.

Hemant

At 12:41 AM Friday, Kevin Closson wrote:
 >>>It will not however affect the way the space is allocated
>>>for the object within my tablespace. Am I correct here?

yes... although you might care to test what happens if your
increment value is smaller than the next extent size of a table
that grows to subsequently trigger an autoextend...I think (haven't
tested) that your increment value needs to be large enough to
satisfy in one extending operation the size of the extent requested
by the table growth... I'd test it here, but my systems are tied up.

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l