RE: aud$ purge script

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 11:18:27 -0700

My understanding is that AUD$ table is not special in the sense that recording
audit information in AUD$ also creates redo and undo in the redo logs. See, for
example, Jonathan Lewis's post at
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/audit-excess/. Therefore,
deleting from AUD$ using regular SQL deletes also requires undo and redo. Why
not export and truncate the AUD$ table (at the risk of losing a few records
because of timing)? Could the AUD$ table be partitioned by date range? Could
AUD$ be made a synonym if not licensed for partitioning? For example, the
synonym AUD$ could be pointed to an underlying table called AUD20130101$ on Jan
1 and to AUD20130102$ on Jan 2.

Kindest regards,

Iggy

--