Re: asynch descriptor resize wait event

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:28:04 -0700 (PDT)

I know what I said could be wrong, because I don't have good knowledge of this
wait event. The guess that after the event occurs, you'll see a higher value of
/proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr cannot be right, simply because oracle, not root, has
no permission to change it.

I want to add that there doesn't seem to be a limit on a process's AIO
operations. (So the term "descriptor", usually used in the process context, is
a misleading jargon.) I thought AIO_MAX was it (as seen in "getconf -a" or
"getconf AIO_MAX", which is undefined on Linux). But man page of lio_listio(3p)
has the words "system-wide limit {AIO_MAX}".

Yong Huang

--- On Thu, 5/20/10, Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The only meaningful note on MOS I can find is 1081977.1. "This event is set
when the number of asynch descriptor reserved inside the OS kernel has to be
readjusted." On Linux, the number of system-wide AIO's is capped by
/proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr and its current value is aio-nr. I'm guessing after the
said event occurs, /proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr is raised. If so, and if the event
happens often, it may be a good idea to manually raise aio-max-nr (echo
some_large_number > /proc/sys/fs/aio-max-nr).

Yong Huang