Re: assistance dropping lost tablespace, contains partitioned tables

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:20:06 +0100

I haven't tested this idea, but it might work.

    Identify the partitions that are in the lost datafiles.

    Create empty tables of the same structure in
    some on-line files.

    For each problem partition, exchange the partition
    with one of the new tables.

The lost datafiles now contain nothing but simple tables
so you should be able to drop the tablespace.

I know I did something like this once when I was testing
disaster recovery scenarios with partitioned tables in 8.1.6,
and I was a little surprised (and relieved) at the way I could
change data dictionary definitions even when the objects
referenced were in destroyed data files.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar