Re: asm on serveral nodes (no RAC)

  • From: Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:28:36 -0400

Dan, Jeremy,

I think it depends on your definitions of "having RAC".
For me running CRS and ASM in *clustered* mode does mean RAC.

"Having RAC" also might assume having to buy RAC license. Don't take my licensing knowledge for 100% but... Recently, Oracle allowed using CRS for free to its customers with Linux support. Otherwise, you have to buy at least one RAC license. However, clustered ASM instances - do they require RAC license or not? I would think they do but its pure speculation.

Regards,
Alex

On 31-Mar-08, at 8:37 PM, Dan Norris wrote:

Matt,

Are you sure? I see no technical reason why this would be a problem with the following stipulations:
1. You can't have different OSes.
2. You must use Oracle Clusterware, have shared storage, and have clustered ASM.

Given those two requirements, I think you could do this with multiple single-instance databases on different nodes. Those nodes would be clustered for purposes of sharing ASM disk groups.

All that said, I haven't tried it, but I have thought about the feasibility several times and those that I've talked to about it didn't think it would be a technical issue. Now, why you'd do this when an OCFS2 filesystem achieves the same purpose with somewhat less complexity (IMO) is another discussion.

Dan

Matthew Zito wrote:

No, it is not possible to do this without RAC.

Matt