Re: application's raised error going to alert log

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 13:15:17 -0400

Is it being fired by a database trigger, if so that may be the reason.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

>>> <lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/1/10 11:42 AM >>>
The end user doesn't get an error.  End user can see errors if the
navigate to the screen that shows the rows in this error_logs table.
The user defined error is visible on top of the table insert, in the
alert log, which is kind of useless to me, the dba, since i can't fix
that problem on the application side.  I'm really just trying to
understand why this user defined error went to the alert log in the
first place.  Alert log doesn't seem the place for those kinds of
errors.  Should be seen on the screen for the end user to fix their
problem.