RE: application monitoring best practices (sleeper features)

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx" <kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:08:52 -0700

"Sleeper Features" would be an awesome article for the NoCOUG Journal if you
would write one for us.

My pet "sleeper feature" is the oldest in the book: multi-table clusters in
indexed and hash flavors. Even Oracle product management does not believe in
it. Partitioned hash clusters were first used by Oracle in TPC-C benchmarks
more than two years but have not been implemented in Oracle Database 12c. See
http://iggyfernandez.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/major-new-undocumented-partitioning-feature-in-oracle-database-11g-release-2/.
 I believe that clusters hold the answers to many performance problems as well
as the antidote to NoSQL. See
http://iggyfernandez.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/no-to-sql-and-no-to-nosql/.

How about MDC (Multidimensional clustering)? Clusters again! See
http://iggyfernandez.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/multidimensional-clustering-mdc-in-oracle-database/.
 Another sleeper feature!

Iggy

--