Re: anyone using jdeveloper or PSPs?

  • From: Melanie Caffrey <melanie_caffrey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:32:24 -0800 (PST)

I saw John Flack's response to this thread, but may
have missed anyone else's.

IMHO, PSPs and the PL/SQL Web Toolkit are great and I
have used them a LOT.

I've found that development time is decreased, the
speed of the application is increased, and the
projects are delivered more on time than otherwise
(the otherwise being having thrown Java into the mix).

Caveat:  The above has been the case when my group had
the flexibity to start a project from scratch.

In the case where we were brought into one that
already existed with *existing* Java code, we, of
course, kept it that way (dependent on time and
resource requirements).

Personally, though, if you're starting from scratch,
depending on what you're trying to do (do you need a
lot of applets? per se, or just basic Web
applications), I find that nine times out of ten, you
can use Oracle over Java.

After all, you're never going to get faster access
than when you're right up against the database.

My 2 cents,
Melanie