Re: any way to make ORACLE 9ir2 (9.2.0.8) work with Redhat AS 5.X???

  • From: dba1 mcc <mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:38:59 -0800 (PST)

The reason my boss want us migrate to Redhat 5.X is unify O.S. version.  He
don't like some servers use version 3 and others use version 4.

he said same O.S. version will reduce maintenance cost.

Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: I haven't - but your
comment about your boss forcing you to upgrade to an uncertified and untested
combination scares me somewhat. My initial reaction would be to ask if the
applications have been tested on  9.2.0.8 on RHEL5 with the application vendor,
after all lack of application support/compatibility is the reason given for not
choosing a supported combination of release and platform - it would be a real
pain wouldn't it if it turned out the unsupported platform also wasn't
compatible with the application now wouldn't it :)

 In short you don't tell us what the driver for the os upgrade is - in your
bosses mind - but a corporate chosing to run new unsupported software, well
that's a pretty rare occurrence - as opposed to the everyday occurrence of not
upgrading out of support software that was once supported.

 Niall

 On Jan 8, 2008 2:06 PM, dba1 mcc <mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 We have several REdhat AS 4.X servers with ORACLE 9iR2 (9.2.0.8 )  in it.  I
knew ORACLE 9ir2 does NOT work with  and support  under Redhat 5.X.

My boss force us must upgrade Redhat from 4.X to 5.X.  Due to some application
have compatible issue with 10Gr2, I can NOT upgrade to 10Gr2.

Does anyone successful make 9iR2 work with Redhat 5.X?  Can tell me how to
tweak it?

Thanks.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA