RE: analyze after adding a nullable column

  • From: "Alvaro Jose Fernandez" <alvaro.fernandez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 22:10:09 +0200

Hi Gene,

It depends on the datatype and length, if you add a CHAR (not an
VARCHAR) or some other fixed length types (size), and depending also of
the number of rows in the table, the plans would be need to be
reevaluated, if the average row length got significantly higher (mainly
for recosting FTS)

I'm assuming you are not yet using the new column as filter predicate in
the queries, am I right?

alvaro

Hi  everybody:

Do I need to reanalyze the table if I add a nullable column and do not
populate it with values (oracle 10.2.0.3)?

thank you

Gene Gurevich