alter table move

  • From: "fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx" <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:13:02 -0400

I have done some research on this feature and would like to have other DBAs shed light on its real-life usage...

- this statement will require a lock for the entire operation of the move. If not, please explain how? - even though, there is an 'online' keyword, but it can only be used on IOTs not heap tables.
- It will keep the indexes on the new table but will make them unusable.
- stats will be invalidated as well.
- I would like to know how does Oracle do the move internally and how it impacts user transactions? Could not find this information anywhere.