Re: alter system v shutdown abort

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:04:57 -0500

Ruth,

Does that SA bounce a server just because one user is having a problem? If
so,  then steer way clear of that idiot.

You can't beat killing the process, then, if the Oracle session still
exists, kill it.  Always works for me and lets everyone else continue to
work in the database.  Sometimes killing the Oracle session first
eliminates your ability to note the OS PID, which may hang around even
after the Oracle session is killed.  Kill the OS session first.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

 I feel so unnecessary.  -- Rufus Thomas
               ( "Do the Funky Chicken")

"Queen Roo Roo" <ruth.gramolini@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/13/2006 01:41 PM
Please respond to
ruth.gramolini@xxxxxxxxx

oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
alter system v shutdown abort

Hello everyone,
Can someone tell me an alter system kill session 'sid,serial#'; will kill
runaway processes or long running queries as efficiently as doing a
shutdown abort, startup , shutdown immediate?  I have always run a job
which shutdown kills all users who shouldn't be on after a specific time
but the
SA at my new job is skepticle because another DBA told him to use a
shutdown abort, startup, shutdown immediate sequence.

Thanks in advance,
Ruth
--
Ruth Gramolini