Re: alter system v shutdown abort

  • From: "Peter Hitchman" <pjhoraclel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:37:16 +0100

Hi,
I had a situation like this a few weeks back on a Unix server. I got a call
asking me to "Abort" the database because some killed sessions were not
going away and holding locks etc. My reaction was , you must be kidding, I
abort the database in the middle of the day (with lots of workin sessions on
it) and then cross my fingers and hope it comes back up OK. I must admit I
have yet to do an abort and not see Oracle recover, but when it comes to
production databases I never want to do this unless there is no other
choice. Of course the problem was solved by killing the Unix background
processes.
Next time someone suggets aborting the database, quiz them to see if they
actually know the implications.

Regards

Pete