RE: advanced replication

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Donahue, Adam" <Adam.Donahue@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:22:11 -0500

> You're saying materialized views should no longer be used?  I think
many
> here would beg to differ ...
>
> Adam

Not at all, Adam.

When Mviews were first introduced, they were, and still are, a valued
distributed processing tool.

Oracle later introduced AR and then referred to the Mview concept as
"simple", in an almost condescending way.  And believe me, their
simplicity in comparison to AR is their saving grace.

PS - Some of the newer tools, such as Streams and readonly-standby, are
much better alternatives to "Advanced Replication", which is simply not
scalable, and has always been a significant challenge to configure,
administrate and maintain!