Re: active-active for private IP?

  • From: Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 05:02:47 +0800

I agree with LS.. and thanks for others who have shared their
experiences...
we are nearing conclusion (or not) that yeah.. "if your switches support
mode=4 then use it, else use other modes"

Let me run down the docs I've skimmed earlier:

1) from Doc ID 810394.1 RAC Assurance Support Team: RAC Starter Kit and Best
Practices (Generic)

Configure nics for fault tolerance (bonding/link aggregation). Note
787420.1</ep/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=787420.1>

2) from Doc ID 811271.1 RAC Assurance Support Team: RAC Starter Kit
(Windows) - networking section of the guide

"Most customers use active/passive teaming rather than active/active. It is
recommended that all failure scenarios be tested
whichever teaming method is chosen. Please be aware that even with 2-node
cluster you must use a dedicated
network switch on the interconnect, Crossover cables are not supported.
Other settings recommended for the
NICS are :
      • Flow Control : Auto
       • Speed & Duplex : do not leave this as Auto - instead fix it to
full, at the maximum speed the card /
         switch will allow (typically 1Gbit)"

3) Alejandro Vargas - RAC 10gR2 on RHEL - Detail Design and Best Practices

- Interconnect Configuration
- Configure interconnect full duplex / UDP
- Interconnect connected through switched Gigabit Ethernet
- Cross cable IS NOT SUPPORTED
BEST PRACTICES:
        • Use NIC bonding and redundant interconnects for broader band.
        • NIC's to be bonded must be same vendor and type.
        • Set NIC and switch frame to Max, verify configuration is the
          same end to end
        • Configure failover and load balancing between the
          interconnects and switches
        • Check that network interfaces are configured correctly in
          terms of speed, duplex, etc on all nodes.

4) Julian Dyke's Book... showed how to configure bonding using mode=1... but
also showed options for interconnect configuration on the hardware chapter

5) Marcin used the default mode (mode=0)

6) LS highlighted about mode=4

Hmm... above are modes 0,1,4...

but there are other modes too.. it would be interesting to know the pros &
cons of other modes (2,3,5,6) with regards to RAC setup..
Oracle did not explicitly tell to use specific mode aside from
Doc 811271.1...

- Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com