Re: a quick poll regarding the 11gR2 OFA

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:45:54 +0100

Hi all,

with all the arguments pro and con different mount points I have to say
I love ASM.

All I need in 11.2 RAC is Grid Infrastructure and a (possibly shared)
RDBMS home. These can go to /u01/ or wherever people fancy. Then all
data files, data pump exports, data guard broker config files, control
files, ORLs, SRLs, flashback logs (and many more) can go to +DATA and
+FRA or whatever you named your disk groups. Brilliant-and it takes a
lot more to do a rm -rf in asmcmd than on the file system :). Once it
gets to a stable state you could even use ASM Cluster File System for
your storage needs.

My only concern is that it's difficult to adhere to a single ORACLE_BASE
in RAC 11.2.

On 05/12/2010 05:36 AM, Cary Millsap wrote:
> Paul's right; that was /exactly/ the point. People were naming mount
> points to connote the contents of those mount point; for example, they'd
[]
> http://carymillsap.blogspot.com

Regards,

Martin