RE: a quick poll regarding the 11gR2 OFA

  • From: <Paul.Baumgartel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 16:18:49 -0400

u01 was just a suggestion.  Read the original OFA document for a full
explanation.

The idea was that these were non-connotative mount point names that would
accommodate any content in their directory trees.  If you didn't do it this
way, and needed space to install a new application, and the only mount point
with free space was /oracle, you'd at least be sowing a little confusion by
having something unrelated to oracle stored on a filesystem that seemed to be
dedicated to Oracle.

Of course, the wide availability of SANs and easily carvable and extendable
logical volumes make this much less necessary now.  OFA was created in the days
of individually mounted disk drives.

Paul Baumgartel
UBS AG
IB Accounting Solutions