Re: a quick poll regarding the 11gR2 OFA

  • From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:54:15 +0200

I use '/oracle' for all Oracle things. This makes it very easy for sysadmins to
spot the location of 'the oracle stuff'. There are some other locations
(/var/tmp/.oracle, /etc/oracle, /opt/oracle) which are used by (some) oracle
products.
As been stated earlier, my personal opinion is '/u01' is non-intuitive and
non-descriptive, and the default path of the oracle home
'/u01/app/oracle/product/<some part of the version>' is *way* to deep.

As far as I know, OFA is not about a specific path, but about a flexible layout
for your database. I've written about a structure wit '/oracle' about 4 years
ago, which I called 'SOFA': Request for Comment: SOFA, Second generation Oracle
Flexible Architecture

Anyone know any history of '/u01'? I guess it was used in the past to have a
second '/usr' on a separate mountpoint, to have a clear place which holds the
database software. If so, /u02 and further for the datafiles and other database
files is really bogus.

frits