RE: a question to question

  • From: "Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini)" <norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <remigiusz.sokolowski@xxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:28:21 -0000

Morning,

>> TK 2: Which two steps are performed the first time any
>> Update statement is issued after the instance is started ?
>> Choose two

>> A. Creating the parse tree of the statement
>> B.Writing the modified data blocks to data files
>> C.Writing the modified data to the archived redo log files
>> D.Updating the control file to indicate the most recent checkpoint
>> E.Updating the data file header to indicate the most recent
>> checkpoint
>> F. Reading the blocks to database buffer cache if they are
>> not already there

>> The answer is provided as C and D.
I would say that that is incorrect!

>> Concluding A and F
I agree.

Given that the question specifically states "the first time... any
update.." implies at least a hard parse is required for the statement.
It is the first time the statement has been issued after the startup, so
A is at least one of the answers.

And given that this is an update, and blocks can only be updated in the
cache, then the blocks to be updated must first have to be read into the
cache. So F is also one of the answers.

B, D & E are incorrect as it is the DBWR that actually writes the
modified blocks from the cache at some point. CKPT does the check
pointing and header writing. They are background processes and are not
necessarily activated by executing an update statement.

C is incorrect as that only happens after an online redo log fills up.

I suggest you avoid that particular web site, but given also that even
Oracle gets it hopelessly wrong a lot of the time, even in the exams
themselves, what can you do?

>> Or may be I do not understand the question well as English is not my
>> primary language.
No, there is nothing wrong with your English.

Cheers,
Norman.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk