Re: a modest proposal

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:57:56 -0400

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 07:11:19PM -0700, Jared Still wrote:
> Comments below:
>
> On 10/21/05, Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > A list, Signal-to-Noise Ratio proposal...
> >

> Summarily blown off? No, I don't think that was the case.

It was a joke, summary/summarily, nothing personal.  I was
trying to say I didn't get my way.  Life is tough.

> Relying on a moderater or the OP to summarize the useful information
> from replies has never really worked well.

it's art, I considered it working in the very best way, as in a higher
quality exchange, high S/N ratio.

> It eliminates the free exchange of ideas through the thread - there is no
> collaboration, just a number of individuals sending their ideas to the OP,
> who may or may not understand all the replies.

right, it is less free, exactly; more like the exchange at a technical meeting
as opposed to playground chatter.

People who read the summaries are open a free to exchange all they like,
collaberation is not at all eliminated.  In fact it is more concentrated.

> Being the 'owner' of a list is quite a bit different - you have
> administrative
> responsibilities: granting or revoking posting privileges, setting quoting
> limits, stuff like that. But you don't edit content.

This was not the proposal.

> I'm no longer the 'owner' of the list, but I still have an opinion.

this is a good thing.  The proposal serves a different purpose, sort
of "instant" msg openworld.  You get 1/3 of the posts and the ones you
are interested in are more dense.  You get to contact the posters identified
in the summary to go as deep as you like.
Ray Stell       stellr@xxxxxx   (540) 231-4109  Tempus fugit      28^D