Zero-cost on-the-fly compression for Data Pump expdp

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:12:31 -0500 (CDT)

Howdy,

In a more constructive post (ahem), I'm struggling with the eventual loss of
on-the-fly compression for our database refreshes since we currently use exp
to a Unix FIFO device that is directed to gzip.  Simple and elegant, but
it's going away (11gR2?).

Our Oracle DBs are on AIX.  On of my ideas is to create a JFS -- *not* JFS2
-- mountpoint with compression.  To take the idea one step further, my plan
is to create this MP on the Development box and soft NFS mount it on the
Production box where the expdp would take place.  The idea being that I
would get a compressed DP file and only need a single copy, versus
exporting, then copying resulting file from Prod to Dev.

Has anyone attempted anything like this?  Wikipedia mentions "high CPU
usage" (to be expected) with the JFS compression option, but I expect this,
just as gzip does on my current FIFO device export.  The AIX docs confirm
this, but my idea would seem to be the ideal usage for JFS compression.

Thoughts?

TIA!

Rich