Re: ZFS or UFS? Solaris 11 or better stay with Solaris 10?

  • From: przemolicc@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:41:24 +0200

Hi Tony,

- regarding UFS vs ZFS. The best thing is to do any (!) sort of tests. But if
you really cannot do This is really difficult question since:
        - zfs is brand new filesystem which will be improved more and more. UFS
will not be improved.
                - but does it matter for you if you will keep this system for
years without change ?
        - zfs has much more features which are unknown for UFS (and never will
be)
                - but do you really need them ?
        - if you insist on using ZFS for Oracle read the following URL:
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_for_Databases#Oracle_Considerations
        - there are a lot of knowledge (in terms of people experience) in the
internet about using UFS + Oracle
        - if you can do any sort of tests (ZFS vs UFS):
                - you can do it on both ZFS and UFS using:
                        - Orion (Oracle tool to test storage performance)
                                - of course don't relay on just one tool and
its results
                        - Oracle 11 IO calibration (new feature)
                and just compare the results
        - a couple of URLs:
                - https://blogs.oracle.com/roch/entry/zfs_and_directio

- regarding Solaris 10 vs 11
        - Solaris 11 has many new features. You can read WPs about What's new,
etc. It's worth reading.
                - but do you need them for typical OLTP (DSS ?) environment ?
        - Solaris 10 is stable and predictable
                - but does it matter for you ? Maybe you like new environments
? New features ?
                - having Solaris 10 does not mean that you cannot upgrade to
Solaris 11 in the future. Live Upgrade is a feature which helps you in this
area.
        - if you happen to have a bug in Solaris 11 Oracle support is not known
to be the best on this planet regarding fixing new bugs ...

- regarding SAN
        - if you have typical hardware array I would not mirror at the
filesystem level - don't complicate this.
        - quite old but anyway ...
http://storagemojo.com/2007/04/23/new-zfs-performance-numbers/

Best regards
Przemyslaw Bak (przemol)