RE: You have 10K US$ and need 5TB's of storage for Oracle 10G RAC test environment...

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:21:46 -0500

With the 1TB drives coming out soon (supposed to be this quarter or
next), it could be very very cheap very soon.

And also, we've used things like OpenFiler and the Linux iSCSI target
software to create storage arrays out of Linux boxes with lots of drive
bays in them.  In fact, we have a Linux box we use as a storage server
in this way with 1.6TB that cost about $1300 a year ago.  That's a
rackmount server, RAM, etc.  With larger drive sizes these days I
suspect we could do 3TB for the same price if we were building it today.

Matt