Re: You have 10K US$ and need 5TB's of storage for Oracle 10G RAC test environment...

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:46:51 -0500

I would say it's wrong way to ask questions but common in the IT
industry these days (and probably not only IT). The right way would be
something like:

We have this kind of applications doing this kind of activity. It will
require so many random IOs and so much IO bandwidth. The backups will
be such and such. Availability requirements are those. And etc...
Q: What's the cheapest piece of hardware I can buy to suit those
needs? (and don't forget recurring costs)

If it's more than 10K - you either have to kill the project or
reconsider budgeting. One may argue that it's not a real life decision
but let's face it - you would have to make one of those decisions
later anyway when 10K "lost" already. Unless, of course, you are luck
and it fits.

On 1/19/07, Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What would you buy? Is this even possible?

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

The Pythian Group