Re: Yosemite

  • From: "LS Cheng" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 23:43:06 +0200

It is true when it becomes obsolete space will be reused however imagine you
have a high retention period and you actually free the space everyday by
sending the backup to tape but at databasde level that is not known, unless
you set a huge recovery area you will end up with the problem I am saying

For example imagine you have a 200gb database and a recovery windows of 30
days and you perform backup everyday. Are we gonna set a 6TB recovery area
space?

On 5/5/06, Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my experience that is not true. Once a backup becomes obsolete (i.e., a subsequent backup is taken that covers everything in the original), it is eligible for deletion from the flash recovery area and Oracle will delete it when the space it occupies is needed for something else.

*Paul Baumgartel* *CREDIT SUISSE* Information Technology DBA & Admin - NY, KIGA 1 11 Madison Avenue New York, NY 10010 USA Phone 212.538.1143 paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx www.credit-suisse.com