Re: Xterm issues

  • From: "Paul Drake" <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:20:51 -0400

On 9/7/06, Mike Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I am having some problems getting the installer to startup on a new laptop and was hoping I could get some help from the list.

I have installed cygwin with the X11 option. If I start cygwin and type startx I get an X window to open up without any errors. If I do a netstat –a at this point I see something listening at port 6000 which is what I believe I should expect.

*TCP mycomp:6000 mylaptop:0 LISTENING *

I login into our Sun box and export DISPLAY=<my laptops IP>:0.0. I then kick off xclock for a test. After executing xclock, the process will hang for a bit before returning the error message

*Error: Can't open display: <my laptops IP>:0.0*

While the xclock command is hanging, I perform a netstat –a on the sun box and see the following:

*<sun server>.54453 <my PC>.6000 0 0 24820 0 SYN_SENT *

The sun server is resolving my laptop name incorrectly, but since I am setting my display to the IP address I am not sure how much that matters.

On the sun server if I try to telnet to port 6000 I get the same SYN_SENT message from netstat

*<sun server>.54864         <my PC>.6000     0      0 24820      0
SYN_SENT*

Is it possible that I am running into a windows firewall issue on my laptop? I don't have permissions to turn off the windows firewall, but was told by desktop support that he opened port 6000. I am not sure if his change worked though

 Any help would be appreciated

 Thanks

Mike,

Since you already are using Cygwin for the Xserver, why not connect to the
remote host with ssh, using the -X switch. In this case, the xterm traffic
is tunnelled (transparently).

It works well for me.

Paul