Re: X$ksmsp (OSEE 10.2.0.2 on Solaris 8)

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duncan.lawie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:07:53 -0400

On 06/27/2006 08:12:07 AM, Lawie, Duncan wrote:
> Charles,
>
> I agree that a row in x$ksmsp should equal a single memory chunk - but is it
> possible that there is a chunk with an outrageous value?  I don't recall that
> particular case, but I have seen  x$ksmsp sum to values significantly larger
> than the size of the SGA.
>
> In addition, I have also had significant performance issues on a production
> system when selecting on this table in a very busy system which is severely
> fragmented.
>
> Cheers,
> Duncan.

Guys, selecting from tables like that usually means to acquire a latch for
each row. If the table points to the real chunks of SGA, those chunks must
be protected from changing during select. Every one of them. That means latch.

I don't see any pressing need to use the table, especially not if the table
is undocumented. I must say that Oracle10gR2 is marvelously instrumented and
equipped with the documented performance tables. It misses just one thing:
"run my stuff faster" parameter, which will probably be available in the next
release as an undocumented parameter, will be tweaked by the bravest among us,
causing, of course,  ORA-0600 and ORA-7445 errors. Parameter will eventually
become useful in the Oracle21R3.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com