Re: XE/SE/SE1/EE Options (again)

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 06:32:58 +0100

Hi Jesse

On 4/7/06, Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking at http://www.oracle.com/database/product_editions.html to
> get the differences between the Oracle editions (okay, I'm not really
> looking at XE).  There's a "Oracle Database 10g Product Family white
> paper" PDF on that page that lists SE as not having "Comprehensive
> online schema reorganization/redefinition", but for the life of me I
> can't find what actual Oracle pieces that would include.

you can't do online maintenance operations in SE so no 'ALTER INDEX ....
REBUILD ONLINE', 'ALTER TABLE ... MOVE ... ONLINE' etc. I imagine the
redefinition package isn't available - but you can be sure I'll see a bit
later today.

Also, since SE is limited "to four processors", does that mean I could
> only legally run two 8-core SPARC T1s?
>
> Thoughts?

It appears so, somewhat surprisingly to me. From the licensing definitions

"*Processor:* shall be defined as all processors where the Oracle programs
are installed and/or running. Programs licensed on a processor basis may be
accessed by your internal users (including agents and contractors) and by
your third party users. For the purpose of counting the number of processors
which require licensing for a Sun UltraSPARC T1 processor with 4, 6 or 8
cores at 1.0 gigahertz or 8 cores at 1.2 gigahertz for only those servers
specified on the Sun Server Table which can be accessed at
http://oracle.com/contracts
, "n" cores shall be determined by multiplying the total number of cores by
a factor of .25. For the purposes of counting the number of processors which
require licensing for AMD and Intel multicore chips, "n" cores shall be
determined by multiplying the total number of cores by a factor of .50. For
the purposes of counting the number of processors which require licensing
for all hardware platforms not otherwise specified in this section, a
multicore chip with "n" cores shall be determined by multiplying "n" cores
by a factor of .75. All cores on all multicore chips for each licensed
program for each factor listed below are to be aggregated before multiplying
by the appropriate factor and all fractions of a number are to be rounded up
to the next whole number. Notwithstanding the above, when licensing Oracle
Standard Edition One or Standard Edition programs on servers with a maximum
of 1 processor with 1 or 2 cores, only 1 processor shall be counted."

So I reckon 16 SUN T1 cores equates exactly to 4 processors. whereas 16 AMD
cores equates to 8 processors. I'm not going to comment on what I think of
the licensing scheme itself here, since this is a family list an' all.

TIA,

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA