RE: Would you recommend such an application for production use? (just the bit about stuff in SYS)

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 01:12:14 -0500

In the case of creating views and synonym and such (rather than objects that
require segments) there isn't much added to the SYSTEM tablespace, and
nothing that wouldn't be added by adding a view or synonym to any schema.

Of course that actually brings up a very old enchancement request which was
partially serviced by adding SYSAUX to SYSTEM for things that vary greatly
in size. Work was in progress on partitioning at the time, and the rest of
the request was to partition things like source$ that could become very
large. The idea being that only the stuff that was really required to start
up the database would get into the partition(s) that lived in SYSTEM so that
in recovery situations SYSTEM could remain as small as possible, which is
good for too many reasons to list here. And of course activity in one
partiton of source$ for one application might be segregated from activity
for another application in a different partition in a different tablespace.
Which I always thought would just naturally scale better. Of course since
there is no way to test a feature that doesn't exist, we are reduced to
speculation of how this might work better. Whether things would actually
scale independently in actual implementation is an open question, but it
does create the possibility that things might scale better in many respects.

And of course if an application had all its source in a single partition, it
would seem likely that de-installing it could be streamlined as well, and in
major release upgrades the "new" programs unit versions might be installed
into a different partition, thus making it efficient to revert to the older
versions and providing an efficient mechanism to delete or take the old
versions off line when the new versions are thought to be safe.

What brought this to mind was your bit about fragmenting your SYSTEM
tablespace, which I agree with, but which the poster's note about creating a
view only does to the extent that views in any schema pollute SYSTEM, while
we routinely accept the violence done to SYSTEM in the storage and access of
PL/SQL all the time. I tip my hat to Oracle for managing that as well as
they do, but I still think theory is on my side in thinking they could do
much better with partitioning.

Now as for Jared's statement about the x$views changing, he's quite right. I
usually try use the v$ views that Oracle provides to access the x$ "tables"
because a long time ago they made a pronouncement that if you used the v$
views you'd be protected for compatibility going forward. Sometimes, though,
it is just a lot less for the computer to do if you create a custom view of
an x$ if the bits you need are only from a pretty baroque set of v$ views as
supplied. Of course when you or a vendor indulges in that shortcut, the onus
is on the creator of the view to keep up with forward compatibility. - And
do you trust the vendor to do that? Still, if the information is in a v$view
and Oracle can maintain that compatibility moving forward, it should be
always possible to update the custom v$view. If you spew something from an
x$ that they don't provide a v$ for, then I think you're on your own with no
guarantee that information will even be in a future release.

At the very least I'd be asking for clear text scripts of the custom view
creations for escrow, and I'd get really uppity if they replace an existing
viewname.

Regards,

mwf

  _____