Re: Will 10g install on any Linux???

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:05:56 -0500

Well, if necessary, we'll compile /usr/local/bin/uname and make sure it
returns the desired information. Uname will consist of few printfs and
will take exactly the same command line arguments as the original one.
By the way, I don't think oracle wants to do that, because there would
be quite an uproar. There are other databases and mindshare will sooner
or later transform into the market share. Believe me, Oracle does not
want to restrict their flagship database to $3000 Linux versions only,
because that would make the door wide open for competition like DB/2
and PosgresSQL.
If nothing else, you can always get a Java decompiler from slashdot,
inspect the source code and rig the part that checks the OS version
appropriately. On the other hand, this might be just another way of
hiding the "quality" of the code. Trick would be to make 10g available
for supported Linux only, which is run by very few people and do not
make the RDBMS widely available until it's fixed. That would confirm
the information I've already discussed on this group and usenet.