RE: Why we should use bind variables when we write code......

  • From: "Laimutis Nedzinskas" <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:09:01 -0000

________________________________

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wolfgang Breitling

 > In addition to my warning about "inappropriate" use of bind variables
I am wondering how the 3,424 "identical except for literals" sql could
cause the shared pool to become fragmented. They should be eligible to
be aged out for new sql, including "identical except for literals" ones.
Unless, of course, the application doesn't close the corresponding
cursor. But that would be a different issue.

Apparently it can be done. Recently we had to add an extra 200MB to the
already large shared pool (over 1GB) just to resolve 4031 errors. It
worked. And yes, we have many users (way too many), a lot of literal
SQL, etc.

Fyrirvari/Disclaimer
http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer