Re: Why use Pro*C for spooling result sets to flat files when you can do the same thing in SQL*Plus?

  • From: Andreas Piesk <a.piesk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bwmyers@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:22:02 +0200

Bill Myers schrieb:
> In my previous post,
> //www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Any-valid-security-concerns-using-Data-Pump-over-conventional-expimp,
> I mentioned that the DBAs at my new job use Pro*C to export data to flat
> files. So I asked one of them in a meeting: "why not use SQL*Plus
> instead?" Response after a long awkward stare: "you tell me". I have
> searched the forums and docs to no avail (besides maybe some speed
> advantage).
>
> So, is there any real advantage to using Pro*C over SQL*Plus to spool
> result sets to flat files? I certainly don't want to become a Pro*C
> expert, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

i've used own Pro*C routines for a long time (because it's incredibly fast)
until i came across a
very nice tool which does the same and is configurable via parameter files like
impdp/expdp:

http://www.dbatools.net/software/sqluldr.zip

it has some issues (always check the return code!) but besides that it works
very well for me and
has some nice tricks like encrypted password, on-the-fly compression,
parallelism, etc.

regards,
-ap