Why isn't Oracle Using My Index

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:49:50 -0800

Greetings,

This is a question I have been looking at and puzzling over for a couple
of days and am unable to explain, I'm hoping someone can help me
understand what is going on. In a 9i database I have a table with 41550
rows on which stistics are generated weekly. In looking at a simple
select the query does not use an index and I am unable to figure out how
to make it use the index.

SQL> set autotrace traceonly explain;
SQL> SELECT C240000008 FROM aradmin.t185 WHERE C1 = 'HD0000000041608'
  2  /

Execution Plan
   0      SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE (Cost=1420 Card=413 Bytes=
          627760)

   1    0   TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'T185' (Cost=1420 Card=413 Bytes=62
          7760)

There is an index IT185 on column C1 and column C1 is unique. A hint
will force the use of the index but in that this is not a locally
developed application I am unable to change the code. Nevertheless, in
attempting to understand this I looked at the clustering factor for the

TABLE_NAME                         BLEVEL AVG_DATA_BLOCKS_PER_KEY
------------------------------ ---------- -----------------------
AVG_LEAF_BLOCKS_PER_KEY AVG_LEAF_BLOCKS_PER_KEY CLUSTERING_FACTOR
----------------------- ----------------------- -----------------
T185                                    1                       1
                      1                   10276             10276

I see that the clustering_factor is quite high (in fact equal to
avg_leaf_blocks_per_key) which as I understand it is why the optimizer
is not using the index. Following the discussion of
db_file_multiblock_read_count which has been taking place recently I
played with changing it. It is currently set to 8 and I reduced it to 1
but that made no difference. There are a large nukber of blocks in the
table
TABLE_NAME                         BLOCKS
------------------------------ ----------
T185                                 9345

Which as I understand it also goes into the optimizer's decision to do a
full table scan.

So, my question, how can I get this thing to use the index without
changing the code? Can I? I don't know if it worth looking at
OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING or OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ or if there is some
other method whereby I can get the optimizer to do an index scan instead
of the table scan. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center