RE: Why is USE_STORED_OUTLINES not an initialization parameter?

  • To: <ramick@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <fairlie_r@xxxxxxxxx>, <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:35:39 -0700

I wonderd about the same thing a while back but never came up with an answer.
I ended up using a simple logon trigger (see code below) and that has worked
fine for us.

create or replace trigger
use_outlines
after logon on database
begin
execute immediate 'ALTER SESSION SET USE_STORED_OUTLINES=TRUE';
end;

Also, you can find out if a session is using a stored outline by checking the
OUTLINE_CATEGORY column in v$sql for the cursor that the session is executing
(join v$sql.hash_value to v$session.sql_hash_value).

HTH,
Brandon

Also IIRC the only way to find out if a session is using a stored outline and
its category is using oradebug as illustrated in

HTH,
Fairlie