RE: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

  • From: Josh Collier <Josh.Collier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:06:18 -0800

Sql*server is "nice", but it doesn't have a lot of the fault tolerance and
features of Oracle.

Can you expand on this idea? what fault tolerant features distinguish the two?

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:14:09 -0500
From: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: passionate_programmer@xxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rohit,

    There is an old saying that "one gets what one pays for".  That goes for
database software as well.  Sql*server is "nice", but it doesn't have a lot of
the fault tolerance and features of Oracle.  MySql is a toy that got promoted
to something it was never designed for.  BerkelyDB is similar, it was designed
for small projects, but then got promoted to larger things.  DB2 and Oracle are
"similar" in robustness though feature sets are different as well as packaging.
 PostgreSql is somewhere between Oracle and SQL*Server, though a lot closer to
Oracle.

    The bottom line is that a db is dependant on what you the developer want.
If your looking for an imbedded DB, then I suggest you try a Google search, or
possibly a visit to your local bookstore.   I will agree that as an embedded db
Oracle is a poor choice and there are a number of better ones out there, but
many lack the recoverability, flexibility, and possibly ACID compliance of
Oracle, but then maybe you don't need that.  We have one application designed
to reside on a laptop that uses the Java Based Apache Derby database which is
open source.  Fits nicely on a 8GB memory stick.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA