RE: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

  • From: RP Khare <passionate_programmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:50:25 +0530

Dick,

What about BerkelyDB? I think it is meant to be an embedded DB?

Subject: RE: Why is Oracle unaffordable?
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:14:09 -0500
From: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: passionate_programmer@xxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rohit,

    There is an old saying that "one gets what one pays
for".  That goes for database software as well.  Sql*server is "nice",
but it doesn't have a lot of the fault tolerance and features of Oracle.
MySql is a toy that got promoted to something it was never designed for.
BerkelyDB is similar, it was designed for small projects, but then got promoted
to larger things.  DB2 and Oracle are "similar" in robustness though
feature sets are different as well as packaging.  PostgreSql is somewhere
between Oracle and SQL*Server, though a lot closer to
Oracle.

    The bottom line is that a db is dependant on what you
the developer want.  If your looking for an imbedded DB, then I suggest you
try a Google search, or possibly a visit to your local bookstore.   I
will agree that as an embedded db Oracle is a poor choice and there are a
number
of better ones out there, but many lack the recoverability, flexibility, and
possibly ACID compliance of Oracle, but then maybe you don't need that.  We
have one application designed to reside on a laptop that uses the Java Based
Apache Derby database which is open source.  Fits nicely on a 8GB memory
stick.

Dick Goulet

Senior Oracle
DBA