RE: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

  • From: RP Khare <passionate_programmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jreid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:08:03 +0530

JR,

This is the problem with embedded licensing. It is not sure for a startup to
tell how much volume we expect to sell. It is difficult until and unless the
product hits the market. I saw the prices of Oracle TimeTen, Berkley and Lite
products. These are not in my budget and they are charging upfront.

Rohit.

From: jreid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx; passionate_programmer@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx; cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Why is Oracle unaffordable?
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:19:45 -0500

Talk to Oracle about embedded software licenses, they have a
team that only sells “App Specific or Embedded Licenses” to attach to your
application.  I have seen these type of licenses sell for 5% of list price.
This also depends on the volume you anticipate to sell.

JR