RE: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <passionate_programmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:14:09 -0500

Rohit,

    There is an old saying that "one gets what one pays for".  That goes
for database software as well.  Sql*server is "nice", but it doesn't
have a lot of the fault tolerance and features of Oracle.  MySql is a
toy that got promoted to something it was never designed for.  BerkelyDB
is similar, it was designed for small projects, but then got promoted to
larger things.  DB2 and Oracle are "similar" in robustness though
feature sets are different as well as packaging.  PostgreSql is
somewhere between Oracle and SQL*Server, though a lot closer to Oracle.

    The bottom line is that a db is dependant on what you the developer
want.  If your looking for an imbedded DB, then I suggest you try a
Google search, or possibly a visit to your local bookstore.   I will
agree that as an embedded db Oracle is a poor choice and there are a
number of better ones out there, but many lack the recoverability,
flexibility, and possibly ACID compliance of Oracle, but then maybe you
don't need that.  We have one application designed to reside on a laptop
that uses the Java Based Apache Derby database which is open source.
Fits nicely on a 8GB memory stick.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA