RE: Why an organization would need an enterprise DB team

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:18:14 +0000

Robert,

What did you think of hybernate?

From: "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>

>> If they are unable/unwilling to learn, then they need to trust the DBA.
I'd rather say, if they are unable or unwilling to learn, they need to be doing
something else, somewhere else. Otherwise you get mediocre results all the
time. To me it implies that someone is really not all that happy with what they
are doing, or the area they are working in.... it's just a job. That being the
case, it's really not fair to them or to me or to the people they are working
with to keep them around.

Let's find something they like to do, either here or somewhere else. In the
end, it's better for everyone. I had a case where we had someone we were trying
to bring on as a developer. It clearly was not where their talent lay and after
a while we realized that this person liked to write. We made them our technical
writer and they were happy as a clam. Right person, right job, right attitude
and trust me, you will find your projects go a lot smoother.

I acknowledge though that this can apply to varying levels (for example, I'm
less concerned with a consultant on a 1 week gig to create a database learning
how to use Hibernate than someone assigned long term on a project). Then of
course, there is that small problem of a small resource pool... :-)

Cheers!!

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle Press Author
Principle Engineer/Team Manager
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Collaborate '07
Come join my APEX University Session
and Join me to talk about Evolutionary Database Development!!
The LDS Church is Hiring DBAs! Contact me if you are interested!