RE: Why a rebuild speeds up my queries.

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:43:36 -0500

Dave,

I'm of course nervous basing a diagnostic decision on a statspack =
report.
Your extended SQL trace data would give you enough information to =
determine
whether the extra PIO blocks are caused by migrated rows, and if so, =
exactly
how much time you should expect to save by fixing the migrated rows =
problem.

Assuming that your problem is a bad PCTFREE setting, now... A good =
sanity
check should be easy. You know how big the rows start out. You know how =
big
the rows end up (you can measure that). And you know the definition of
PCTFREE (from the Concepts guide). You ought to be able to compute a =
PCTFREE
number that greatly reduces your pain from its present level, even if =
the
value you choose isn't perfect (either wastes a little space, or still
produces a few migrated rows).

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 Charlotte, 10/26
Toronto
- SQL Optimization 101: 9/20 Hartford, 10/18 New Orleans
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...