Re: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a myth?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:13:44 +0100

And an old truism - which I think I first ran up the flagpole
during v6 days:

    20 inserts might go into just one table block

    20 inserts could easily mean 60 scattered index block
    updates because you have 3 indexes on the table.

    Ulimate Write ratio:  60 to 1

    The last thing you want in some heavy duty write systems
    is to separate index physical devices from table physical
    devices.  (note the hair-splitting description).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar