Re: Why Oracle is called Oracle

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, patrice.boivin@xxxxxxxxx, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 12:56:24 -0600

While the description of Greek mythology is correct, the conclusion about Oracle's naming is only indirectly correct. Directly, Oracle database was named for a project at the CIA on which the co-founders worked previously, which itself was likely code-named for the Greek myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Corporation#Overall_timeline
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Oracle-s-coziness-with-government-goes-back-to-2820370.php
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/larry-ellisons-oracle-started-as-a-cia-project-1636592238

Now on the other hand, we have Delphix and Pythian, whose names in fact do derive directly from the Greek mythology cited, FWIW.

On 6/5/16 02:18, Norman Dunbar wrote:

Delphi for Windows is named after Delphi in Greece, where the Oracle of Delphi used to hang out in a cave, making predictions and giving out answers.

Mladen, as far as I have been informed, is correct. Oracle is named after her.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia&ved=0ahUKEwiewvP5uJDNAhWGAcAKHZaBAhAQFggnMAI&usg=AFQjCNGxjvsjkuZCqYUupDPd4p9qd5bwPA&sig2=93lU8ba6yflb8Z3jcBGPmQ

Cheers,
Norm.