RE: Why I don't like ASM

  • From: "Uzzell, Stephan" <SUzzell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'samuel.guinales@xxxxxxxxx'" <samuel.guinales@xxxxxxxxx>, "ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:54:17 +0000

I would add that it certainly makes database growth easier... For RAC, using
OCFS, and having datafiles on H:, I:, J:, K:, &c. as the database grows - not
so hot. For non-RAC, using NTFS - same problem. Give me ASM where I can just
throw more disks into the diskgroup - one less thing to worry about.

Stephan Uzzell

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 00:17:43 -0600
From: justin@xxxxxxx<mailto:justin@xxxxxxx>
To: oracle@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Where I'm at the majority of ASM installs are on RAC. We have some stand-alone
systems using ASM but that is generally because the customer wanted it. Like
anything else there are benefits and drawbacks.

The biggest drawback that I can think of is, as you said, added complexities
and dependencies.  Patching, especially, becomes more complicated.

From an advantages perspective, I find that using ASM along with enterprise
hardware can give you added flexibility. For instance, if a customer needs to
migrate to faster spindles you can present the new LUNs to the nodes/server,
and then add them to the diskgroup and drop the old LUNs seamlessly. I also
like that it can all be managed from the Oracle tool-set, which means you'll
have a generally similar experience across platforms. From what I've read
there's also less I/O overhead when comparing ASM to a filesystem, but I'm sure
that's arguable and would depend on the file system being used.